Monday, February 8, 2010

Faithful

The ocean calls me to its shore; It beckons in my dreams.
It fills my thinking more and more till finally it seems
I cannot live unless I feel the sand beneath my feet.
I cannot wait another day to leave the city's heat.

My little car can take me far. The wind whips through my hair,
As mile on mile bring forth a smile...But paradise is there.

It will be cold. Perhaps I'll keep my coat on. But shoes come off
And socks and pants, because...I know I'll wander further than I mean to,
And it will catch me, like it always does.

"Come closer," it will whisper. "I have mysteries."
And as I wander in, its story tells.
"A little further, Near that rock. Come close to me."
And I wade in, for magic, and for shells.

Just one more step, another look, another wave to scan...
And while I watch it here, out there foments its timeless plan.
"Look there, toward the shore, there is a glint of light."
I turn my back and watch it, too intent for flight.

Then suddenly I see as it approaches me, a bigger wave...
Expecting when it hits that it will reach my knee.
And once again I laugh as in one surging leap
It soaks me to my neck. How does it get so deep?

I always know its coming.
Call it deja vu.
And so I wait to greet it.
I am faithful, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment